Two months old, tiny chameleon - about 5 cm long.
Writing with Color has received several asks on this topic.
Everything from “how do I describe my character’s skin tone without being offensive?” and “what’s the problem with comparing my character to chocolate and coffee?”
I’m hoping to address all these and likewise questions in this guide on describing POC skin color, from light, dark and all that’s in between.
The Food Thing: So what’s the big deal?
So exactly what is the problem with comparing POC skin tone to cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar and other sweets and goods? Well, there’s several potential problems you come across when you pull out the old Hershey’s bar comparison for your dark-skinned character, even if offense is not your intention.
A sweet little moment in the passing of a herd I photographed in Amboseli, Kenya.
If you’d like to learn more about my adventure, view post.
Harry Potter AU where someone sees Harry in his cousin’s over-sized clothing with his underfed body and hears him casually mention the cupboard in which he sleeps and calls the fucking police
Him: Hey, I know this is kinda wierd and pushy haha, but would u like to have sex with me? I’m not a creep or pervert, just a genuine guy. I would treat u with respect and the sex would be good. I can even make u squirt if the connection is right haha. I will not judge you or think you re “easy”….
My sister gets all of these all the fucking time on OKC, so this does not surprise me at all, but I probably would never have known if she hadn’t told me. :( #maleprivileged
this was in response to what happened at my university, James Madison.
reblogged it before, rebloggin’ it again
ok do you see this Legendary Epic woman right here? this is wendy fucking carlos and i’m going to describe to you why wendy carlos is 30 thousand times better than you
- she is a 74 year old trans fucking woman. she remembers having dysphoria at age five and started hrt in 1968. you think transitioning is difficult now? try doing it in 1968. the thought scares the shit out of me.
- her first album, switched on bach, is a literal hour of her playing bach’s music on synthesizers. that’s classical edm. edm wouldn’t exist if she hadn’t brought synthesizers to prominence. the catch? synthesizers in 1968 were monophonic. that means you can only play one note at a time. wendy carlos sat there and played each instrument’s piece of bachs music at least 6 times per symphony, painstakingly overdubbing and rerecording each line, one at a time.
- oh yeah, switched on bach was the first classical album to sell more than 500k copies and she won 3 grammies and stayed on the billboard #1 pop charts for 17 weeks.
- you know tron? that really awesome movie whose sequel daft punk made the ost for? wendy is the original daft punk. tron’s soundtrack was all her; not only that, but so was a clockwork orange and the shining.
- in 1998 this piece of shit momus (aka nick currie on wired) made a song mocking wendy’s sexual orientation. $50k of currie’ money later, she forced him to remove that song from his entire collection, have the master destroyed, and his music career fucking died after that.
figured i’d post this since daft punk keep getting a lot of love. i love daft punk, but they owe their lives to this fucking badass.
HOLY. CRAP. I did not know this.
work work work work work!
Wendy Carlos also scored Kubrick’s ‘Clockwork Orange’ and ‘The Shining.’ She’s a big deal, people.
|—||Watch as the director of marketing and public relations for San Diego Comic Con says that doing more to create a clear and public anti-harassment policy at the world’s biggest comic con would imply that con harassment is a problem. The problem is: it’s a problem. (via themarysue)|
New emoji characters have been released as part of the Unicode 7.0 standard, however no announcement has been made from Apple, Google or Microsoft on their proposed schedule for including these new emojis into iOS, OS X, Android or Windows.
That means characters such as the middle…
Hey guys!! I will be @ table A333 at Fanexpo Canada this August with Ric!! (As long as they don’t change our table before then, heh). Please come say hi!! I’ll be selling the above prints, as well as my Kid-Sherlock Fanbook and the Stucky fanbook I collabed with Ric on! Some stickers, bookmarks, keychains, and etc!! I’m so excited, see you guys there!! ;]
You guys can’t measure the immensity of my WANTS of this